The Petaluma Kitchen Needs Volunteers & Donations
The Petaluma Kitchen is a community kitchen, located at 301 Payran Street. The Kitchen provides a no cost, continental breakfast and a mid-day meal seven days per week, 365 days a year to low and very low income men, women, and children, and residents of Petaluma’s single adult homeless shelter, the Mary Isaak Center.
• Breakfast daily from 7:30 to 9:00am
• Lunch 11:30am to 1:00pm Mon-Fri, 11:30am to 12:30pm Sat-Sun
The Petaluma Kitchen serves over 100,000 meals a year with the help of over 10,000 volunteer hours from community members who come to sort donations, cook, serve, and clean. In addition to providing nourishment to those in need, staff and volunteers are often the first contact for individuals and families who need referrals to other community resources, such as housing, clothing or medical care.
In addition to the meal service, the Petaluma Kitchen also provides weekly supplemental or emergency groceries through the Food Box Program. Those wanting to receive a food box must apply at the Kitchen, Mon – Fri 9:30-11:00am, and meet the income requirement. Food Box recipients may chose to pick up their weekly box or to have it delivered on Saturday morning. Every Saturday volunteers deliver Food Boxes to low and fixed income families, seniors and others in our community.
We are looking for regularity in scheduling as well as folks able to be ‘on-call.’ Hours run from 7:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. every day.
Volunteers who want to help on Thanksgiving or Christmas Day must contact Lyn Van Tighem at 707-765-6530 x111 to be scheduled.
Meal Service Opportunities:
• Donation Pick up drivers - Pick up food donations at local grocery stores and deliver to Kitchen. Must have a valid driver’s license and insurance. (7:30 to 12:30 a.m. daily)
• Cooks, Prep Cooks, Servers and Soup Stirrers (8:00 to1:00pm daily)
• Clean Up – Dishwashers and more. (11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. daily)
• Donation Organizers -Help sort donated food. (8:00 to 10:00 a.m. daily)
• Food Drive Coordinators – Plan and carry out a food drive to stock our shelves!
Food Box Program Opportunities:
• Food Box Builders
o Mon – Wed – Fri (7:30 to 9:00 a.m.)
o Sat (6:00 – 9:00am)
• Drivers – Using own car, deliver food boxes to families on the program in Petaluma. Must have valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and be willing to have driving records reviewed by our insurer. Saturdays from 9am until complete (usually 1-2 hours)