Email Vesta
Blog Home Page

Welcome to the Sonoma County Gazette ARCHIVE of PAST EDITIONS. Our NEW WEBSITE is up and running, so GazExtra is serving as your path to archived articles. Thanks for being part of our Sonoma County community...stay in touch...e-mail me - VESTA


Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Carol Sklenicka: Raymond Carver: A Writer's Life


Raymond Carver: A Writer's Life
Voted one of the 10 Best Books of 2009 by the New York Times.

at River Reader Bookstore Winter Events
16355 Main Street, Guerneville, 707 869 2240

Wednesday, February 17 at 7:00 pm

"Ten years in the making, this prodigiously researched and meticulous biography sympathetically and adroitly integrates its subject's work with the turbulent life -- marred by alcoholism, financial turmoil and family discord -- that brought it into being. Sklenicka shrewdly deconstructs Carver's fraught relationship with Gordon Lish, the editor who played an outsize role in the creation of Carver's stories, the most influential of a generation." --New York Times Book Review

LOCAL REVIEW:

I just finished reading Carol Sklenicka’s book on short story author Ray Carver. (Carol and her husband Rick Ryan live in the Jenner area. At first, I didn’t know how I was going to feel about the book as Ray Carver was unknown to me, but I have to say that once I started, I couldn’t put the book down. It is a fascinating biography and has already won prestigious awards. Stephen King did a lengthy review several weeks ago in the New York Times Book Review and gave it high honors.

Carol is going to be reading at River Reader in Guerneville on Wednesday, Feb. 17th. I urge all of you to put it on your calendars and attend. I also urge you to purchase the book. If you have any interest in modern literature, you won’t be sorry.

Brenda

Labels: ,