Email Vesta
Blog Home Page

Welcome to the Sonoma County Gazette ARCHIVE of PAST EDITIONS. Our NEW WEBSITE is up and running, so GazExtra is serving as your path to archived articles. Thanks for being part of our Sonoma County community...stay in touch...e-mail me - VESTA


Sunday, June 21, 2009

RETRACTION of LETTER Published in the June 18, 2009 ISsue


I printed a Letter to the Editor in the June issue of the Gazette - without reading it prior to publishing - and the author of the letter has requested that I publish a RETRACTION. My personal regret is that I didn't read it (it came in right before I went to press and I simply trusted the author because I know him as a contributor to our community and good guy) - his regret is that he wrote it. Below is his letter of retraction. I won't compound the problem by re-publishing his letter here. My next issue won't come out until July 16th, so this is the best I can do for both of us. - Vesta

The Biggest Mistake of My Life!

By The Shadow

Fueled by anger and concern over the safety of the streets of Forestville, my home, I wrote a letter to Vesta, editor of the West County Gazette. The letter talked about the Forestville Youth Park BBQ, then quickly shifted focus to the Bodean Company gravel quarry. The letter was full of hearsay and rumor, based upon information I gathered around town. I never should have written the letter. Nor did I consider other consequences until I read my letter published in the Gazette. By that time it was too late.

At this point in time all I can do is take full responsibility for what I wrote and was printed in The Gazette under the pen name, The Shadow Knows. I will never write about this subject again and I am truly sorry for the pain and suffering I have caused the Bodean Company, Inc. and anyone else involved with this letter.

This is my responsibility and mine alone. I am the one who is fully accountable. It is Vesta’s policy to publish all letters submitted, and I admit that I pushed her deadline, leaving her no time to check for facts and accuracy. She has faithfully published my letters in the past, and knows that I am The Shadow.

I admit to being emotional about this subject. I will never forget the day I saw a fatality first-hand in a truck accident and was truly trying to prevent another accident. I know this letter was not the correct way to deal with the situation. I cannot undo the past but will try to learn from it. If I have an issue, I will direct my thoughts to the people involved, not the general public. Again, I apologize and retract what I wrote in an attempt to make amends.

Sincerely,

The Shadow
Forestville

Labels: