Email Vesta
Blog Home Page

Welcome to the Sonoma County Gazette ARCHIVE of PAST EDITIONS. Our NEW WEBSITE is up and running, so GazExtra is serving as your path to archived articles. Thanks for being part of our Sonoma County community...stay in touch...e-mail me - VESTA


Thursday, June 3, 2010

"What's Up?" in Guerneville


The season is upon us and now we stand here asking, “where do we go from here?” In my experience at the Visitor Center I’m often asked, “What do YOU do around here?” People come from cities to vacation here and are sometimes surprised that there isn’t a roller coaster barreling down Main Street but meanwhile us River Rats go to the city and become quite overwhelmed with the “must see/must do” atmosphere. It’s no doubt that I’ve planted the roots to my 25-year-old tree deep into the muddy (and yet rich) soils of Guerneville because of the simply-life activities that us Guernevillians do. So in accordance with this month’s theme “VACATION AT HOME” I’ll share with you some tips about things that I enjoy doing here at home.

Vacation tip #1: Invest in some good walking shoes. Go for a walk! I walk EVERYWHERE and enjoy drinking in the aromas of sweet pollens baking in the sunlight, beautiful vibrant colors of the greenery and wildflowers, and occasionally exchanging salutations with the local fauna. And it doesn’t take much imagination to figure out where to walk because most EVERYWHERE in G-town has it’s own element of beauty.

Vacation Tip #2: Get involved in local events/causes. This may sound like WORK to some people, but sometimes work can be quite rewarding and can even result in some awesome adventures. Most people support town traditions and the best way to show support is to show up! Take for example the Stumptown Daze Parade. This little parade has been hitting the pavement of Main Street for 64 years and in the past the ENTIRE town participated. Well pack up the kids, the dog, and the in-laws and haul them downtown and take part in a time honored town tradition. June 12th is the date, 11:00am is the time, Main Street, Downtown Guerneville is the place. PS: Don’t forget the firemen’s BBQ in Lark’s parking lot immediately afterwards.

Vacation Tip #3: Dance, dance, dance! Dancing is not only good for your body, but for your mind, too. The coordination of our extremities get’s our brains working, releasing all kinds of “feel good” hormones. So go “feel good” on your “staycation” at one of many dancing venues in town. Need ideas? Well, the same day as the Stumptown Daze Parade, from 6:00-10:00pm, Roy Rogers and Midnight Sun will be rocking the Vet’s Hall. Get down there and show us just how coordinated (or lack thereof) you are. Tickets are $25 in advance at the Chamber office, $30 at the door. But also be sure to stay informed about the many local and talented musicians and the awesome venues in town. There are some real treasures out there and we need to get on the dance floor and get our groove on.

These are just a few tips about life in one of the BEST places on Earth and it doesn’t take much to be entertained (or is that just me?). No matter what your situation, there is always something to do that is fun and fulfilling in this whimsical corner of the universe.

This is one PROUD Gator. Last month I attended the 150th Anniversary Celebration of Guerneville School. I always felt proud to be a Guerneville Gator, but now those feelings have transcended “proud” and shot into outer space! I look back at the eight years I spent in those classrooms, being taught by those teachers, making friends with those students, and an overwhelming veil of emotions enveloped me. I’m proud that I was (and always will be) a Guerneville Gator and also that now my kids are, too! I long to go back to my special place in time on the play yard, swinging from the giant metal rocket ship. And I’m sad because I know it isn’t possible to go back and that “change” is the only student that remains in those chairs. I’d like to make a special SHOUT OUT to my homeroom teacher of 3 years: Mr. John Silva, who is retiring this year. To the teacher who taught me many things, such as the rules of football (of which my husband is much obliged), to strive for that last pushup, and that New Balance is the best shoemaker in the world. Thanks to you for making your mark on this pupil and good luck in retirement!

Peace Out, G-town.

Labels: ,