Email Vesta
Blog Home Page

Welcome to the Sonoma County Gazette ARCHIVE of PAST EDITIONS. Our NEW WEBSITE is up and running, so GazExtra is serving as your path to archived articles. Thanks for being part of our Sonoma County community...stay in touch...e-mail me - VESTA


Monday, November 29, 2010

Petaluma Women Volunteer for Good Causes


I’m Krista Gawronski. Let me introduce you to the Fabulous Women of Petaluma! In 2006 I wanted to start a movement based on philanthropy and sisterhood. With kids and a full time business, I was missing my time with girlfriends. I decided to start the “Fabulous Women’s Group”. The intention of this group has always been to gather fun women together and help causes that touch our hearts.

What started off with just a few girlfriends has grown into a dynamic female force that has made a positive impact on our community. This group is made up of neighbors, girlfriends, customers, business owners, and even members our local public council. This little group that started with an intention to “give” has raised thousands of dollars for worthy causes.

Our group has helped families who have dealt with serious health problems and local organizations like COTS (Community On The Shelterless) and Mentor Me, a program that supports hundreds of local kids who are in need of adult support and friendship. We have addressed some of the silent diseases that have affected friends in our group like Cancer, Cystic Fibrosis, and Multiple Sclerosis. We have also championed the cause to help build a school in Rwanda.

Our gatherings are social. The first hour is just for chatting, and sharing appetizers and a glass of wine. Women love an outlet to share their stories and meet new friends. It’s also a great way to network. Our hostess always gets an opportunity to talk about her charity chosen for the evening. This gives everyone a chance to listen, learn, and connect to the cause. There is no pressure on the giving. Women donate whatever they are inspired to give. Who knew that such a simple concept would create such buzz?

There is definitely strength in numbers. For many, this group has given them a social and meaningful outlet. For me, it has stretched my heart to feel more gratitude. I am proud of the love and generosity of this group. I have always said that Oprah gave me the courage and inspiration to start this group.

I saw her 11 years ago at a Women’s Summit in San Francisco. She was the keynote speaker. I can remember she asked the question, “What is your gift.....and how will you make a difference?” That question motivated me to step outside my comfort zone and create something meaningful.

I recently experienced a full circle moment when Oprah invited me to her Community Heroes taping. It was wonderful validation that our group is making a positive difference in the community and in the world.

For more information about our group, please see: www.petalumawomen.com. It highlights the causes that we have supported throughout the years. It also gives everyone the latest information about the next Fabulous Women’s event.
Thank you, Krista Gawronski

Labels: ,